Many people will generally think that mold appears on a structure when the structure has become too old to maintain. However, contrary to popular belief, mold is actually an indication that high moisture conditions exist or it previously existed which contributed to structural decay. Although mold does not significantly weaken the structure, it can often times cause a change in the color of the surface. Moreover, mold can cause health care issues like allergies or sinus infections. Health risks that result from mold are often times more problematic for infants and children, people with respiratory problems or asthma, and elderly people. Therefore, mold control is not only beneficial to save your largest investment which is your house, but it is also essential to protect the healthcare of the people who reside in it. Mold can ultimately be found in any structure where the moisture content is too high. Mold removal is a needed control process for any homeowner.>> Read More
Typically, surfaces that are mold ridden have a fuzzy or a powdery appearance. The variety of colors that molds display usually ranges from different shades of blacks to greens. Sometimes, molds will be different shades of oranges, reds, and yellows. Occasionally, molds can appear white. On such surfaces as softwoods, the stains or remaining debris can easily be brushed off. However, for such materials as large-pored hardwood, stains have already penetrated too deeply into the wood for it to simply be brushed off. In severe cases, molds may extend as much as to completely cover a surface. However, in less severe cases, molds will simply grow in small spots across the surface.
Fungus that stains surfaces primarily colonizes or attacks the sapwood of softwoods and hardwoods. They can only survive if there is wood moisture content of at least 20% but they thrive on wood surfaces that have at least 28% wood moisture content. If the weather is hot and very humid and all conditions are perfectly in place, then mold will become visible within one week. Molds and mildews are able to grown on or inside virtually any material. If there is an adequate nutritive value or if enough moisture is present and it is warm enough, there is no real reason why mold will not grow on that surface. Moisture can come from many different situations including showers, condensation, damn basements and crawl spaces, plumbing leaks and etc.
Although chemical control is efficient for mold removal inside your house, there are some mechanical changes that must be made to try and prevent mold from infesting a structure. The most important part of mold removal is inspection. Inspect your structure to find the source of the moisture and then make changes accordingly to lower wood moisture content to below 20% and also relative humidity to below 50%.
When inspecting the structure, also look for or make changes to some of the following situations:
Chemical control to remove mold from the surface of structures will involve using an appropriately labeled fungicide. Fungicide can be brushed on or sprayed on. Also, wood preservatives should be applied to bare surfaces of wood to prevent the growth of mold. Keep in mind that all pesticides have a product label and a material safety data sheet. All labels must be reviewed thoroughly before the pesticide is applied. To find the correct fungicide or wood preservative insecticide and fungicide that best fits your situation, call a Pest Mall technician at 1-800-788-4142.
Do You Have a Question about this Product? Ask Our Experts!